As part of the Federal government’s Coronavirus Guidance for America, transportation infrastructure is considered an “Essential Critical Infrastructure." Additionally, transit capital projects are not subject to the State of California’s Stay at Home order, therefore Metro construction projects continue to progress.
This monthly notification is an outline of construction activities for the Westwood/VA Hospital Station for the month of August 2020.
Additional notices detailing these activities will be sent by email through the Purple Line Extension, Section 3 database.
Utility Relocation on Wilshire Blvd., Ohio Ave. & Federal Ave.
Metro continues to coordinate with Southern California Edison (SCE) to upgrade the electrical system along Wilshire Blvd., Ohio Ave., and Federal Ave. to provide the power necessary for construction and tunneling activities. This upgrade will also provide power for the operations of the future Westwood/VA Hospital Station.
SCE coordination work is expected to be completed in Summer 2020.
- Monday through Friday, 9am to 4pm
- Saturday and Sunday, 8am to 9pm
- Wilshire Blvd. only: Monday through Friday, 9pm to 6am
- Intermittent lane reductions on Wilshire Blvd., Ohio Ave., and Federal Ave.
- Intermittent turn restrictions on Ohio Ave. between Federal Ave. and Purdue Ave.
- Intermittent turn restrictions on Federal Ave. between Texas Ave and Ohio Ave.
- Intermittent traffic restrictions on Colby Ave. and Butler Ave.
- Vehicles left in work zones will be towed at the vehicle owner’s expense.
Work Site Preparation on VA Hospital Campus
Metro contractors will continue worksite preparation for the future Westwood/VA Hospital Station. Work includes well monitoring, instrumentation, and other improvement activities to create the staging area for future construction work.
- Monday through Friday, 7am to 5pm
- This work will have a limited impact on local traffic on Wilshire Blvd.
- Temporary traffic restrictions on campus may be required while construction personnel and equipment enter and exit the work area.
- Access will be maintained for VA residents, and hospital guests and staff.
Hauling from VA Hospital Campus
Metro contractors will continue hauling supplies and machinery in and out of the VA Hospital Campus.
- Monday through Friday, 9am to 3:30pm and 9pm to 6am
- Saturday and Sunday, 8am to 9pm and 9pm to 6am
- Intermittent lane reduction on Wilshire Blvd, just east of Federal Ave.
Utility Duct Bank Installation near VA Hospital Campus
Metro’s contractors will install utility duct banks near the VA Hospital Campus. This pre-construction activity will be conducted on Wilshire Blvd., Bonsall Ave., the Bonsall Ave. ramps in stages. Utility duct bank work is expected to be completed in Fall 2020.
- Monday through Sunday, 7pm to 6am
- Intermittent lane restrictions in work areas on Wilshire Blvd and Bonsall Ave.
- Eastbound Wilshire Blvd. access to the VA hospital campus will be maintained via the detour on southbound Sepulveda Blvd. and westbound Santa Monica Blvd.
Sanitary Sewer and Utility Relocation on Wilshire Blvd. & Federal Ave.
Metro’s contractors will continue sanitary sewer and utility relocation on Wilshire Blvd. in preparation for the Purple Line Extension Project. All utility services will be maintained.
- Monday through Sunday, 9pm to 6am
- Eastbound lane reductions on Wilshire Blvd. between Westgate Ave. and just east of Federal Ave.
- Westbound lane reductions on Wilshire Blvd. between Bonsall Ave. and San Vicente Blvd.
- Southbound lane reductions on San Vicente Blvd. between Goshen Ave. and Wilshire Blvd.
- Northbound lane reductions on Federal Ave. between Texas Ave. and Wilshire Blvd.
- No parking in work zones. Vehicles left in work zones will be towed at the vehicle owner’s expense.
During construction, some Metro bus line could be affected and some bus stops might be relocated.
For information changes to Metro service, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: https://www.metro.net/service/advisories/
What to Expect
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Access to driveways, homes & businesses will be maintained at all times unless notified in advance.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of construction zones.
- Access for the Fire Department and emergency responders will be maintained.
- Temporary lane closures will be required; detours with signage will be implemented.
- Parking restrictions will be implemented in the immediate area of the work zone.
- Temporary bus stops with relocation signage will be implemented.
- For emergencies or issues needing immediate attention only, please call the 24/7 hotline at (213) 922-6934.
- Please review our construction safety tips
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained
More About Metro
Eat Shop Play
Support businesses located along the project alignment! Eat, Shop, Play locally during construction. For all the details, visit metro.net/eatshopplay
Business Interruption Fund
Metro's Business Interruption Fund (BIF) provides financial assistance to qualifying small “mom and pop” businesses directly impacted by construction; learn more by visiting metro.net/bif. To apply, visit Metro’s program administrator, Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Corporation (PCR).
Doing Business with Metro
Metro works with small businesses throughout Los Angeles County! Would you like to be one of our vendors? Visit business.metro.net for more details!