As part of the Federal government’s Coronavirus Guidance for America, transportation infrastructure is considered an “Essential Critical Infrastructure.” Additionally, transit capital projects are not subject to the State of California’s Stay at Home order, therefore Metro construction projects continue to progress.
This monthly notification is an outline of construction activities for the month of August 2020. *Pending City of Los Angeles approval.
Additional notices detailing these activities will be sent by email through the Purple Line Extension, Section 2 database.
Constellation Blvd. Partial Closure West of Avenue of the Stars through mid-September 2020
(day and night work)
- The contractor was granted approval to implement a partial lane closure of Constellation Blvd. between Solar Way and Avenue of the Stars in order to expedite north side piling activities during the statewide pandemic health restrictions and a major reduction in traffic.
- This traffic configuration permits only one lane of westbound traffic from Avenue of the Stars toward Solar Way. No eastbound traffic lanes will be open during this closure. Through traffic will be detoured to Santa Monica Blvd. and Olympic Blvd. Local access west of Solar Way will be maintained.
- The contractor will coordinate directly with adjacent properties experiencing driveway impacts.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained on the north side of Constellation Blvd.
- This traffic configuration will be implemented in early August through mid-September 2020.
- Following this work, the traffic configuration will be shifted to the south side of Constellation Blvd. with only one lane of westbound traffic in place.
Constellation Blvd. Temporary Full Closure East of Avenue of the Stars through August 2020
(day and night work)
- The contractor was approved by City of Los Angeles to continue the temporary full closure of Constellation Blvd. between the current launch box full closure and Avenue of the Stars in order to expedite piling and decking activities during the statewide pandemic health restrictions and major reduction in traffic.
- This temporary full closure will be in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through August 31, 2020.
- Vehicles will not be permitted onto Constellation Blvd. east of Avenue of the Stars during this closure. The Constellation Blvd. driveway into Century Park and the Craft valet are currently closed.
- The north Constellation Blvd. sidewalk within this work area will be closed. The south side sidewalk will remain open and a pedestrian detour will remain in place to maintain access to Century Park East.
Constellation Blvd. Water Line Relocation Continues through mid-August 2020 (night work)
- The relocation of the water line underneath Constellation Blvd. is nearing completion and is anticipated to be completed this month. Work within the intersection and west of Avenue of the Stars will occur Monday through Friday from 8pm to 6am.
- Partial lane closures will be required for work within the Avenue of the Stars intersection.
- Driveways on Constellation Blvd. for Westfield Mall and SunAmerica Center may be impacted during work hours from 8pm to 6am.
Tunneling (day and night work)
- Both tunnel boring machines (TBMs) have now been launched.
- Both machines will tunnel eastbound from Century City through Beverly Hills for approximately 2 years before meeting with Section 1 of the Purple Line Extension near Wilshire Blvd./La Cienega Blvd.
- Work hours are Monday through Saturday from 6am to 3am.
Constellation Blvd. Full Closure at Century Park East (day and night work)*
- Closure of Constellation Blvd. between Century Park East and the private driveway on the south side of Constellation Blvd. has been in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The closure remains in place to support the tunnel boring activity.
- At least one sidewalk will remain open on one side of the street.
- The contractor is requesting an extension of the closure through February 2021 to support the launch and initial mining of both tunnel boring machines.
Work within Construction Staging Yards (day work and weekend nights)
- Setup of the construction staging yards continues within the sound walls at 1940, 1950, 2010, and
2040 Century Park East. This work includes the construction of the tunnel shaft and utility installation.
- Work hours are Monday through Saturday, 6am to 4pm.
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Access to driveways, residences & businesses will be maintained at all times unless notified in advance.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of construction zones.
- Access for the Fire Department and emergency responders will be maintained.
- Parking restrictions will be implemented in the immediate area of the work zone.
- Metro 24-hour Hotline: 213.922.6934.
- Please review our construction safety tips
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained
- Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice
For information changes to Metro service, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: https://www.metro.net/service/advisories/
More About Metro
Eat Shop Play
Support businesses located along the project alignment! Eat, Shop, Play locally during construction. For all the details, visit metro.net/eatshopplay
Business Interruption Fund
Metro's Business Interruption Fund (BIF) provides financial assistance to qualifying small “mom and pop” businesses directly impacted by construction; learn more by visiting metro.net/bif. To apply, visit Metro’s program administrator, Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Corporation (PCR).
Doing Business with Metro
Metro works with small businesses throughout Los Angeles County! Would you like to be one of our vendors? Visit business.metro.net for more details.