As part of the Federal government’s Coronavirus Guidance for America, transportation infrastructure is considered an “Essential Critical Infrastructure.” Additionally, transit capital projects are not subject to the State of California’s Stay at Home order, therefore Metro construction projects continue to progress.
This monthly notification is an outline of construction activities for the month of February 2021.
Additional notices detailing these activities will be sent by email through the Purple Line Extension, Section 2 database.
Proposed Extension of Constellation Blvd. Full Closure at Century Park East through May 24, 2021*
(day and night work)
- Due to several unforeseen circumstances, there have been impacts to the progress of the tunnel boring operation. To mitigate delays, the contractor is requesting a 3-month extension of the launch box full closure located at Century Park East to support the ongoing launch sequence for the second tunnel boring machine.
- If approved, Constellation Blvd. may remain fully closed to traffic between Century Park East and the private driveway on the south side of Constellation Blvd. until May 24, 2021.
- Pedestrian access on Constellation Blvd remains available.
Full Closure of Constellation Blvd. West of Avenue of the Stars (day and night work)
- Constellation Blvd. west of Avenue of the Stars remains closed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to facilitate the completion of piling and decking during light traffic conditions due to the COVID-19 Safer-at-Home restrictions. The full closure will remain in place through April 4, 2021.
- Vehicles will not be permitted onto Constellation Blvd. west of Avenue of the Stars to Solar Way.
- The contractor will continue to coordinate directly with adjacent properties regarding driveway impacts.
Partial Lane Closures on Constellation Blvd. East of Avenue of the Stars (day and night work)
- A partial lane closure is in place on Constellation Blvd. east of Avenue of the Stars on weekdays through April 4, 2021 to facilitate construction.
- The partial closure maintains ingress and egress to the Century Park driveway on weekdays only.
- This roadway will be fully closed to traffic over weekend intersection work from Fridays 8pm to 6am Mondays through April 4.
Weekend Full Closures at Intersection of Constellation Blvd. and Avenue of the Stars (day and night work)
- The contractor continues to implement weekend full closures at Constellation Blvd. and Avenue of the Stars to facilitate piling and decking installation through April 4, 2021.
- Closures are in effect from Fridays 8pm to Mondays 6am. The intersection will remain open on weekdays.
- Weekend detours would be in place to direct vehicles to Olympic Blvd., Century Park West, Santa Monica Blvd., and Century Park East. Pedestrian access would be maintained.
Tunneling (day and night work)
- Preparations continue in advance of launching the second tunnel boring machine (TBM) eastbound. The TBMs will tunnel from Century City through Beverly Hills for approximately 2 years to the eastern terminus near Wilshire Blvd. and La Cienega Blvd.
- Work hours are Monday through Saturday from 6am to 3am.
Work within Construction Staging Yards (day work and weekend nights)
- Setup of the construction staging yards continue within the sound walls at 1940, 1950, 2010, and
2040 Century Park East. This work includes construction of the tunnel shaft and utility installation.
- Work hours are Monday through Saturday, 6am to 4pm.
*Pending City of Los Angeles approval.
- *Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice.
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Access to driveways, residences & businesses will be maintained at all times unless notified in advance.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of construction zones.
- Access for the Fire Department and emergency responders will be maintained.
- Parking restrictions will be implemented in the immediate area of the work zone.
- Metro 24-hour Hotline: 213.922.6934.
- Please review our construction safety tips
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained
For information on changes to Metro service, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: https://www.metro.net/service/advisories/
More About Metro
Eat Shop Play
Support businesses located along the project alignment! Eat, Shop, Play locally during construction. For all the details, visit metro.net/eatshopplay
Business Interruption Fund
Metro's Business Interruption Fund (BIF) provides financial assistance to qualifying small “mom and pop” businesses directly impacted by construction; learn more by visiting metro.net/bif. To apply, visit Metro’s program administrator, Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Corporation (PCR).
Doing Business with Metro
Metro works with small businesses throughout Los Angeles County! Would you like to be one of our vendors? Visit business.metro.net for more details.