As part of the Federal government’s Coronavirus Guidance for America, transportation infrastructure is considered an “Essential Critical Infrastructure.” Additionally, transit capital projects are not subject to the State of California’s Stay at Home order, therefore Metro construction projects continue to progress.
Metro contractors will work weekday and weekend hours to demolish smoke slabs (left from the steam locomotive age) underneath the western side of the 1st Street Bridge from September 21 through October 9, 2020, during daytime work hours. Weekend work occurs over two weekends, September 26 to 27 and October 3 to 4. These activities will create intermittent noise.
What to Expect
- What: Demolish smoke slabs and rebuild bridge support
- Where: Underneath the western side of the 1st Street Bridge
- When: September 26 through October 9, 2020
- Hours of Construction: 7am to 5pm
- All work is contained underneath the 1st Street Bridge.
- Requires some weekend work to complete the activity.
- Utilities used by residents and businesses will not be impacted.
- Heavy equipment will be utilized, which may cause some noise.
The Division 20 Portal Widening and Turnback Facility Project will enhance the Division 20 Rail Yard to allow for improved service times throughout the Metro B Line (Red)/D Line (Purple) system.
Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice. Work activity is subject to weather Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice. Work activity is subject to weather conditions.