As part of the Federal government’s Coronavirus Guidance for America, transportation infrastructure is considered an “Essential Critical Infrastructure.” Additionally, transit capital projects are not subject to the State of California’s Stay at Home order, therefore Metro construction projects continue to progress.
Metro contractors have submitted a request for a Nighttime Noise Variance (NNV) to perform work for the Portal Widening and Turnback Facility Project in Division 20.
The NNV would allow construction at nighttime and 24 hours a day, seven days a week in Zones 1,3, and 4. In Zone 2, work must stop at 11pm for very loud and intrusive activities. The NNV covers the following work zones and locations:
- Zone 1: From Commercial St. to the 1st Street Bridge, bound by Center St. and the BNSF Right of Way
- Zone 2: From 1st Street Bridge to the 4th St. Bridge
- Zone 3: From the 4th Street Bridge to 500 feet south of the 6th Street Bridge
- Zone 4: Under the 1st Street Bridge on the east side of the Los Angeles River
Nighttime work may include directional boring, installation of underground utilities and rebar, undergrounding piping and manhole structures, excavation for utilities, manholes, and vaults, concrete and asphalt work and paving, trenching, back-filling, grading, soil stockpiling, hauling, welding, and track and rail installation.
What to Expect
What: Nighttime construction
Where: Zones 1, Zone 2, Zone 3 and Zone 4
When: February 19, 2021 through July 18, 2021
Hours of Construction: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in zones 1, 3, and 4. In Zone 4 all work that is intrusive will stop at 11pm.
- Heavy equipment will be utilized, which may cause some noise.
- Residents will be notified of any nighttime activities ahead of time.
The Division 20 Portal Widening and Turnback Facility Project will enhance the Division 20 Rail Yard to allow for improved service times throughout the Metro B Line (Red)/D Line (Purple) system.
Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice. Work activity is subject to weather Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice. Work activity is subject to weather conditions.